HARBOTTLE & JONAS – SINGLE REVEW

Harbottle & Jonas – Black is the Colour (Brook
View Records)

Release Date: 15th January 2021

Devon outfit Harbottle & Jonas are back with another taster ahead of their forthcoming album in the shape of new single ‘Black is the Colour’. This time we find Freya Jonas taking on lead vocal duties as her soft, pure tones waft mournfully atop the droned squeezebox as we are all called to pay our respects for a man lost before his time. What I love most about Harbottle & Jonas (joined on this tune by the superb violin of Annie Baylis) is their innate ability to conjure emotions, imagery and a sense of time and place with sparse instrumentation and attention to detail. As the five and a half minute opus comes to an end, I find myself puffing my cheeks out with a mixture of relief and grief as though I have been attending a funeral myself – that is the power of their music.

More information: https://www.facebook.com/HarbottleandJonas

Comments