OKAY CHAMP – SINGLE REVIEW


Okay Champ – The Party’s Over (Goodbye
Okay Champ - The Party's Over
Yellow Brick Road) 

Release Date: Out Now

Things have been a quiet on the North-East front recently (it’s all Brighton this and Leeds that in my inbox) so it’s great to hear from Okay Champ on their despondent new single ‘The Party’s Over’. Well, I say great but what I actually mean is ruddy bleak. There’s a bass drone that runs throughout this track which gives the perfect foil to the angular and slightly unhinged guitars that wouldn’t be out of place on the climax scene of a slasher movie. The deadpan vocal delivery is menacing to say the list and my internal pigeon holing algorithm is throwing bands like Joy Division, Therapy and My Bloody Valentine at me with venom which is never a bad thing. The list of past and present scenarios played out through the lyrics will find resonance on at least one line with every listener but it’s the spite and anger behind the line “I used to live with people but now I live dicks” that makes me concerned for the flat mates of any of the band members. Dark, brooding and fucking angry. Beautiful.


Live Dates:

15th July – The Cluny, Newcastle w/Blom + Akne

Comments