LOUIS THORNE – EP REVIEW

Louis Thorne – Wolves EP 

Release Date: Out Now

Louis Thorne is a name I’ve heard on the lips of many but I’ve never managed to catch hold of his music so I was really excited when this three track EP dropped in to my inbox. The ‘Wolves’ EP is not, as far as I can tell, about a West Midlands football club despite open with the track ‘Hasten the Wolves’. This opening track starts with Thorne’s soulful pop vocal over a simple beat and sparse melody, building into a song that would stand up alongside releases by the likes of James Morrison, Rag’n’Bone Man or Daniel Steer with its blend of soul, alt-pop, indie and hints of rock.

‘Checkmate’ follows up with something of a ballad vibe which sits firmly between Jake Bugg and Paolo Nutini in terms of the gravelly delivery and ambitious arrangements which, over six minutes, take the listener on quite the emotional journey. The EP closes out on ‘Wonder’, an intimate but infectious melody with introspective lyrics that feels like the kind of song George Ezra would come up with after a rough period. I’m not sure what I expected of Louis Thorne but I can certainly say that this EP provides more than I dared hope for with a mix of genres, influences and writing styles over three tracks that makes this a tantalising listen.

More information: https://www.facebook.com/louisthornemusic

Comments