SARPA SALPA – SINGLE REVIEW


Sarpa Salpa – Smith (Well Heeled Recordings)
Sarpa Salpa - Smith

Release Date: Out Now

I always find a band’s influences interesting and in the case of Northampton Sarpa Salpa (it’s a type of fish, Google it) they’ve listed Foals, Everything Everything, the Hoosiers, Tame Impala and MGMT among their inspirations. Now, new single ‘Smith’ has hints of those artists but, to me, they’re veering more towards a pop-rock sound with the Killers-esque rhythm section, the kind of vocals you might expect from Adam Levine or an X-Factor winner and a well-produced but super funky melody. On paper, their influences sound more appealing than my description but it kinda works and I found myself on my third consecutive listen before I knew what was what. The synths woven in to the fuzzy guitars are the real treat here and I feel like these lads would fly well in Manchester with a packed, sweaty crowd looking for a good time.


Live Dates:

4th-7th October – Festival Les Expressifs, Poitiers
26th October – Roadmenders, Northampton
29th December – Bedford Esquires, Bedford

Comments