TRIGGERFINGER - SINGLE REVIEW

Triggerfinger - I Follow Rivers
Triggerfinger - I Follow Rivers

Release Date: 8th July 2013

A Belgian rock trio covering a Lykke Li worldwide smash on guitar, bass and, erm, mugs ahead of supporting the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park. I don't really need to write anything else do I? I will though. Because, you see, this is actually a peach of a tune. Yes, it's a cover and yes, it's already been an internet sensation and yes, it has been in the top 10 in Belgium but that doesn't mean it's not worth listening to. Triggerfinger's treatment of 'I Follow Rivers', an undisputed pop smash, has turned it in to a soulful, bluesy, lounge bar tune that you can imagine popping up in a Tarantino film with some previously unnoticed Hollywood beauty seductively stripping to the beat. Frontman Ruben Block's gravely yet smooth vocals and strong whistling skills find new depths in the lyrics and the rawness of the music make it all the more haunting. I'm always sceptical when a band releases a cover as a single but when it gets the results that this one has after the band have already released 3 albums and built up a good following I say go for it! And they're still younger than Mick, Keith and the rest....but then who isn't?


Live Dates:
5th July - The Borderline, London

6th July - Hyde Park, London (supporting the Rolling Stones)

Comments