POLLYANNA BLUE - EP REVIEW

Pollyanna Blue - Trials & Tribulations EP 

Release Date: Out Now

I'm a bit annoyed with myself for sitting on this one for so long but it's such a good EP that I really wanted to spend some time walking you through it properly. So, if you're sitting comfortably, let me introduce you to 'Trials & Tribulations', the debut EP from Bristol duo Pollyanna Blue. We start with 'Saviour' which gets straight down to business with a Rews-esque punchy-punk-pop energy delivered with hooks, melodies and the kind of crisp production most bands can only dream of. It's a strong start. 

On 'Haunted' the duo lean a little heavier on the grunge side of things with hypnotic guitars layered over a wall of distortion and thudding drums building to a chorus that screams "I still remember those days, they haunt me like a headache" - it's honestly one of my favourite songs of 2023 and the more I hear it the more I love it. The penultimate track on this all-too-short EP is ' Strong Enough' which broods with Veruca Salt meets Queens of the Stone Age malice before erupting with a defiant energy. The final track comes in the shape of 'Sapphire Lake' and you spend the first half being lulled in to a sense of calm before being smashed in the face with a Foo Fighters sized mallet of an anthem laced up in melodies. These four tunes are stronger than most artists manage on an entire album which makes this the very epitome of all killer and no filler. 

More information: https://www.facebook.com/PollyannaBlueUK

Live Dates: 

August 11th - Down On The Farm Festival

Comments