THE SCHISMS - EP REVIEW

The Schisms - Tejas EP 

Release Date: Out Now

The Schisms are an Austin, TX psych-goth trio with a new EP called 'Tejas' out now and if that doesn't get you salivating then you might be in the wrong place. The first of the four tracks, 'I Learn To Love', is pure son-of-Tarantino stuff with a moody guitar and thudding beat setting a tense, dark scene before those dissonant chords join in and the party starts to sway with a hypnotic energy and the scream of a killer. 'One Blood' keeps the vibes dark but with a more stylised guitar line giving this one a more polished sound like Billy Idol soundtracking the reboot of the Lost Boys with Keifer Sutherland playing guitar in the band. 

On 'All The Good Things' the band take an unexpected turn to an almost Beatles inspired melody but with a sludgier bass sound than McCartney ever used and a Bowie-does-punk energy underpinning the vocals. The final track on this EP is 'Beyond Death' which rattles along with a post-punk, new romantic energy pinned down by the Dick Dale-esque guitars making for an utterly delicious sound. I love this EP for the energy, melodies and vibes but, sadly, I'm probably going to have to add the Schisms to the list of bands that I would love to see live but am unlikely to ever get to. 

More information: https://www.instagram.com/theschisms/