Natalie Imbruglia - Algorithm (Landgirl Records)
Release Date: Out Now
Ladies and gentlemen, lend me your ears for the new album from Natalie Imbruglia and possibly the pop album of the year; 'Algorithm'. The album opens with 'Debbie' which sounds like the lovechild of Dubstar and Pet Shop Boys before we're hit with the uptempo romp of 'Upside Down' which pings with indie guitars trying to keep up with the unrepentant pop energy. 'Catastrophe' has a, dare I say it, Kylie Minogue breathless charm to it which blends with the slick production and poised instrumentation. A brief interlude leads us into title track and recent single 'Algorithm' which is a standout moment as Imbruglia lets her vocal strut atop the bouncing electronic melody and swaying beat.
There is a more fun tone to 'Sounds Like It Feels' which almost demands a video with Imbruglia twirling with her arms outstretched in the centre of Times Square. 'Jesus On Mars', however, is an altogether more strident number with an almost military beat, references to Jekyll & Hyde, and the kind of pop attitude that Robbie Williams did so well with. The mood shifts again on the piano driven melody of 'Who Dimmed The Lights' which emerges from the shadows to revel in the daylight while 'Endgame' has a dreamier Bowie meets Coldplay vibe to it that I kinda love.
The electronic pulse of 'Just Drive', a recent single, is still just as exhilarating as it was on first listen before penultimate song 'Breathe With The Fire Lola' gives us a moment of digital fireside music that will get you right in the feels. We close out on the triumphant 'Beautiful Love' which runs and skips with a freedom we seldom feel in music these days and the vocals shift from breathless to powerful with consummate ease. I don't want to call this a comeback because I don't think Imbruglia has had that kind of career but this is definitely an album of songs that you feel she wanted to sing and perform so I'd encourage you to revel in them. Revel I say!
More information: https://www.instagram.com/natalie_imbruglia/
