NINA NESBITT - ALBUM REVIEW

Nina Nesbitt - Alskar (Cooking Vinyl) 

Release Date: Out Now

I was genuinely excited to hear this new album from Scottish singer-songwriter Nina Nesbitt and then I enjoyed it so much that I forgot to write about. I could leave the review there because that's a pretty good recommendation but I wouldn't be doing my 'job' if I was that sparse in my critique. 'Alskar' (the Swedish word for 'to love') is an album of deep emotion, raw honesty and entrancing melodies so ,if you're game, I suggest we dive straight in. 

'Gaol' is the opening gambit which is a minute of layered spoken word as various voices declare a sensation of love in keeping with the album's title. The music really gets going with 'Teenage Chemistry' and Nesbitt is in feisty mood with the kind of tune that Robyn or UPSAHL would be proud of with a funky bassline, up-tempo beat and soaring vocals full of hope and regret. Former single 'No Time (For My Life To Suck)' continues the mood of striding out in to the world and fighting for what you want with a playful melody and breathy vocal delivering vocals that catch the listener off guard. 'Pressure Makes Diamonds' is one of the songs of the year with a deadpan and steely eyed take down of the trials of trying to be a woman in the creative industries set to the wormiest of worms as Nesbitt sings "I'm just trying to deal with the bullshit flying at me, turn it in to something catchy and then make it in to money".

There is a sad streak to this album, however, and the woozy melody of 'Dinner Table' underpins a story of Nesbitt's grandmother's life which will pull at even the dustiest of heart strings. Similarly, 'When You Lose Someone' will always take my breath away as the words that perfectly describe the physical and mental effects of grief came at a point in my life when I'd just lost one of my best friends - "it changes you forever in the blink of an eye". On 'I Should Be A Bird' there is an acoustic pop vibe that feels like a song that couldn't be improved from initial demo recordings so it was left in its originally raw but beautiful state. 

'Colours of You' is a soft and tender combination of piano and vocals that will soothe the soul while 'Limited Edition' could easily be an Ed Sheeran composition, such is the instantly hooky and radio friendly melody. One of my favourite tracks on this collection is 'Older Guys' which is not just an arresting, Laura Marling-esque slice of alt-folk but also a frank and honest look back at the predatory behaviour of men towards Nesbitt when she was a young teenager - it is a hard listen but a fantastic piece of songwriting. Penultimate track 'Heirlooms' continues the folky vibe with a touch of country warmth and some beautifully intimate vocals. The album closes out with title track 'Alskar' which draws on Nesbitt's Swedish heritage to create a sad-banger worthy of the end credits to an indie love story. Honesty, emotion, superb vocals and songwriting par-excellence all combine to make a strong contender for album of the year. Yes, it's that good. 

More information: https://www.facebook.com/NinaNesbitt

Live Dates: 

NOVEMBER13th - Leeds, Stylus14th - Brighton, CHALK15th - London, Electric Brixton 17th - Bristol, Trinity Centre18th - Birmingham, O2 Institute 220th - Manchester, Ritz26th - Nalen Klubb, Stockholm, Sweden28th - Circolo Arci Bellezza, Milan, Italy30th - Les Etoiles Theatre, Paris, FranceDECEMBER 1st - Bitterzoet, Amsterdam, Netherlands2nd - Prachtwerk, Berlin, Germany




Comments