CHARLOTTE OC - EP REVIEW

Charlotte OC - Colour My Heart EP 
Charlotte OC - Colour My Heart EP

Release Date: 25th November 2013

Well, well, well, what have we here then? This is a little bit lovely. Charlotte OC is a lady with an incredibly soulful and sexy voice that would make the Motown legends sit up and take notice. I have literally no idea where she hails from but Ms OC has found her way in to my heart and I'm only half way through the EP! Title track 'Colour My Heart'  is a sparse, piano driven, throbbing pop lady-beast with elements of Bat For Lashes, Kimbra, Elli Goulding and Florence + The Machine. 'Hangover' is finger clicking cool and OC's voice moves seamlessly between fragile and sultry in a way that can only endear her to the listener. There are two key elements to all of these tunes with one being the atmospheric and carefully constructed music and the other being the stunning, honey thick vocals of our heroine that have to be heard to be fully appreciated. There's no let up on 'Cut The Rope' as the music gets slightly more dramatic and those Florence Welch influences bubble to surface to be mixed with some Kate Bush-isms and sprinkled with a little 80s power ballad dust. Finishing up with 'Stolen Car', Charlotte OC shows off her big, bombastic side as she insists "You make me feel like a stolen car". What we have here, ladies and gents, is a lady with one of the most luscious voices I have heard in a few years and boy does she know how to use it. Now all I need to know is where she comes from and what the hell OC stands for (I'm guessing it's Oblong Cuboids. Just because).



Comments